James E. Kruzer
Email: kruzer @ birnbaumgodkin.com
Phone: (617) 307-6131
Fax: (617) 307-6101
Jim Kruzer maintains a diverse business litigation practice, with experience in the areas of commercial, employment, and intellectual property litigation. His practice includes a special focus on defamation, disparagement, unfair competition, and other business-related disputes originating online. He has guided clients through all phases of disputes, including pre-litigation counseling, drafting and answering complaints, discovery, trial, and appeal.
Mr. Kruzer is admitted to and regularly practices in the state and federal courts in Massachusetts. He has also been admitted to jurisdictions throughout the country for specific cases.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Kruzer was an associate at Posternak Blankstein & Lund. He also served as a law clerk to the Justices of the Superior Court.
Mr. Kruzer has been named a “Massachusetts Super Lawyer – Rising Star” every year since 2012.
Client Alerts authored by James Kruzer
Business Litigation Matters
- Conducted and defended numerous depositions throughout the United States and Canada in a federal lawsuit involving claims of defamation, commercial disparagement, tortious interference, and unfair competition between two rival businesses.
- Secured the removal of clients’ confidential and sensitive information posted online and on social media, including Twitter, Facebook, and various websites and industry blogs.
- Successfully resolved claims for unlicensed software use by leading software industry group.
- Authored winning First Circuit brief in case involving application of an arbitration clause.
- Second-chaired a commercial real estate lawsuit that resulted in a jury verdict fully vindicating the client’s position.
- Litigated non-competition and non-solicitation agreements in state and federal court.
Birnbaum & Godkin, LLP, 2016 - present
Posternak Blankstein & Lund, LLP 2010 - 2016
Morrsion Mahoney, LLP 2008 - 2009
Law clerk to Justices of the Superior Court, 2007 - 2008
Boston College Law School, J.D., 2007
Boston College Lynch School of Education, M.A., 2007
Harvard College, A.B. cum laude, 2004
U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts, 2008
U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Massachusetts
U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
Co-author of MCLE chapter on expert witnesses in employment lawsuits
“Mandatory Retirement in Law Firms and Other Partnerships,” Employment Law Strategist, August 2012
“Independent Contractor Classification,” Employment Law Strategist, June 2012